Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pros & Cons

Pretty much everyone who hears we are living in a 23' trailer thinks we are crazy. And if they know we have 3 small boys, they think we are beyond crazy. After almost 3 weeks of trailer life with probably 90% of those days being rainy, I can honestly say it's not that bad. Seriously.

I have a fraction of the space to keep clean. Try going from cleaning 3700+ sq ft to cleaning less than 200. It's pretty nice! It does get messier quicker, and it feels messy if we just have a couple of things out (if I'm making dinner & the boys are playing a game it feels insanely messy!), but overall this is my favorite part!

It is also a lot easier to keep track of my kids. I lost them a lot in our old house, and given that my boys are SLIGHTLY mischievous, that was a big negative. (Although Archer did flush some toothbrushes last night...)

The crazy thunder storms we've been having keep me awake at night, but they don't seem to bother the boys. Which brings me to another negative...sleep. Archer especially is getting very little sleep. He generally doesn't go to sleep until 10:00 pm and he's waking up at around 6:00 am. He is also refusing to sleep during the day unless we go somewhere and he falls asleep in the car. This makes for some insane temper tantrums (which he could already throw a pretty spectacular one...add in 3 weeks of sleep deprivation and WOW).

I do miss having a controlled outdoor environment, and being able to really cook and bake, but we have an outdoor area to prepare food here and plenty of space for the kids to run and play with supervision so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

John may disagree with me on this, but I feel a lot more relaxed here. I don't feel compelled to make sure my kids are getting a huge variety of healthy foods...they can eat raw vegetables instead of some elaborate veggie side dish and I don't feel guilty. I have been buying bread since I didn't bring my loaf pan, and they get cereal and yogurt for breakfast a lot. And that's okay! I am learning to be less controlling (I think).

So really, it's not so bad. The boys are learning to play with the few things we brought to play with indoors, and we've also been having play dates (laundry time as well!). Pretty sure I wouldn't be so enthusiastic if it was permanent but I'm enjoying it temporarily! And when we finally get into our house, it will feel like a mansion!

No comments:

Post a Comment